Life as a professional healthcare traveler requires you to move about every 13 weeks. In the past, reserving short-term housing may have been an uphill battle with few choices—but today, the search for temporary housing never been easier. From a fully-furnished Airbnb to renting a travel RV, your housing options as a healthcare traveler are plentiful.
Shake up your housing assignment and call someplace “home” that you might not have previously considered by checking out these top housing trends.
Travel lifestyle has a whole new meaning in today’s world with RVs, trailers, caravans, skoolies, and more mobile home options. Over the past few years, mobile living has becoming increasingly more popular as healthcare workers look for more hominess on the road. Statistics show that 57 percent of travelers find RV and other mobile home living appealing since it allows more freedom while away from home. Now professional travelers can bring their pets, personal belongings, and families with increased comfort and autonomy.
If you don’t personally own an RV, not a problem—RVshare is the world’s “largest peer-to-peer RV rental platform, with over 100,000 RVs across the U.S.” RVshare’s Disaster Response Solutions provide affordable options to first responders and other critical healthcare personnel in times of crisis. Able to deliver units nearly anywhere in the country within 24 to 72 hours, RVshare is a great option for temporary housing, when needed.
RVs aren’t the only option for mobile living. Katie, med surg travel nurse, and her fiancé didn’t want a trailer, and instead opted for a skoolie—or renovated school bus. The couple found a 77-passenger school bus and flipped it into a beautiful home on wheels that’s perfect for their nomad lifestyle.
“Ultimately, our goal is to find our little corner of the world,” Katie shared. “Whether that’s here or overseas—I don’t know—but [the skoolie] is possibly the best way to do that."
Danny is a traveling ICU nurse who currently lives in a 75-square-foot self-converted caravan with his wife and two cats. They initially thought an RV would be their best bet to a travel lifestyle that’s close to camping, backpacking, and other outdoor activities. After some research, the couple decided that since they spent so much time in nature, it didn’t make sense for their family to invest in a trailer.
“Van life brings both our lives together,” Danny’s wife said. “We have a home life, and we have adventure time.”
Furnished rental sites
If mobile living doesn’t appeal to you, don’t worry—there are many fully furnished rental sites available to you.
- VRBO connects homeowners with people looking for short-term housing. Search through more than 2 million rentals, VRBO offers condos, cabins, lake rentals, beach houses, and more. With a mission to find every family or person the “space they need to relax, reconnect, and enjoy precious time away,” VRBO has a place for everyone.
- Popular in the U.S., Airbnb is a community built on sharing where travelers can find unique living accommodations—single room and bathroom, entire apartment, or entire house. Find host housing that allows self-check-in, pets, and other must haves by filtering down options.
- User-friendly and easy to use, Corporate Housing by Owner (CHBO) allows travelers to search for short-term corporate apartments, condos, and houses by city, state, or property location. The “largest provider of corporate housing furnished rentals throughout the U.S.,” CHBO connects private property owners with corporate renters in need of temporary housing. Through an online database, you can search and book some of the “finest furnished housing rentals on the market today.”
Whether you need housing for a few weeks, months, or longer, these top furnished rental sites supply you with countless options and put you in control of your travel lifestyle.
Extended stay hotels
If you take the hotel route, make sure to talk to your personal recruiter about discounted rates prior to booking your stay. If corporate codes aren’t available, call the hotel and ask for a sales manager or director of sales to discuss a long-term stay. Explain that you’re helping the local hospital and ask if they’re willing to negotiate prices for more cost-effective living.
- Extended Stay America has affordable housing solutions and pet-friendly hotel suites in over 600 locations across the country. This convenient hotel choice is perfect for travelers looking for temporary housing with fully equipped kitchens, free wi-fi, and on-site laundry facilities.
- Treat yourself to over 7,000 Choice Hotels and feel good about the environmentally friendly practices. Choice Hotels ranges from limited-service to full-service hotels in the upscale, midscale, extended-stay, and economy segments to give travelers high-quality lodging options throughout the U.S.
- Explore nearly 6,000 hotels and resorts around the world with IHG Hotels and Resorts. From “every day, essential travel to luxury escapes,” IHG offers a collection of welcoming experiences.
Long-term stays in a hotel can be beneficial for professional healthcare workers since utilities, housekeeping, and amenities are all included. Not only will you not have to worry about where to lay your head at night, you also won’t have to worry about electricity bills, cleaning, or running out of toiletries.
Plus, many hotels offer a loyalty rewards program where travelers can earn points for their stay and collect other incentives to come back.
Find housing through Fusion Marketplace
Fusion Marketplace puts you in the driver’s seat of your traveler lifestyle. With your personalized profile, you’re able to browse open healthcare job opportunities across the U.S., plus compare agencies, pay packages, and housing. Whether you want to live in a penthouse condo or an extended-stay hotel, Fusion Marketplace gives you the power to find your short-term home sweet home.
Land your ideal travel healthcare assignment that accommodates your travel lifestyle, as well as fully-furnished housing for that placement all in one convenient place. Since the search for housing isn’t one-size-fits-all, your housing will depend on several contingencies—pets, family, or special housing needs. With Fusion Marketplace, you can choose the housing that works best for you and your travel lifestyle, regardless of what that looks like.
Just because you live a travel lifestyle doesn’t mean you don’t deserve the utmost luxury and comfort—whatever that means to you. As more professional healthcare travelers enter the market, Fusion Marketplace is making it easier to be matched your next career placement, housing assignment, and staffing agency.